The Thyroid and Natural Progesterone
Some key points regarding the thyroid gland and the use of natural progesterone cream:
- Estrogen blocks the release of hormones from the thyroid gland, and natural progesterone facilitates the release. Estrogen excess or progesterone deficiency tends to cause enlargement of the thyroid gland, in association with a hypothyroid state. The use of natural progesterone cream can help re-establish this balance.
- Calcium and magnesium are typically deficient in hypothyroidism. An excellent, highly bio-available source of both minerals is coral minerals.
- For men (as well as women), leg cramps, insomnia and depression are often the result of hypothyroidism. Heart failure, gynecomastia (breast enlargement), liver disease, baldness and dozens of other problems can result from hypothyroidism.
- Some doctors feel that very low TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) scores, even though they are within the “normal range”, are consistent with hypothyroidism; in good health, very little TSH is needed.
- When too little protein, or the wrong kind of protein, is eaten, there is a stress reaction, which can suppress the thyroid’s action. Many of the people who have difficulty with their thyroid balance may not be eating enough good quality protein. Sources of good quality, highly bio-available protein: primary nutritional yeast, quality mushrooms (such as shitake, maitake, Texas Pride button mushrooms or raw portabella mushrooms) and homemade kefir.
What is TSH?
TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is a chemical substance produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates the thyroid gland to synthesize and release its own hormones into the bloodstream. When too much thyroid hormone is produced, a condition called hyperthyroidism will result, often referred to as an overactive thyroid. When not enough thyroid hormone is produced, a condition called hypothyroidism will result, often referred to as an underactive thyroid.
Because there are so many different health problems associated with either an underactive or overactive thyroid gland, it is essential that basic thyroid function be tested regularly. The easiest way to do this is by testing for TSH.